Supergirl 48

Here is yet another Supergirl cover, issue 48, along with some process shots.

As you can see from the above thumbnail, the final image stayed pretty close to my initial concept. In fact, when I was adding some color to the thumbnail in Photoshop to submit for editorial approval, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the "scream ring" effect on the final- I was just screwing around when I came up with it and couldn't remember exactly how I did it, but I liked it. My goal was to get the final cover pretty close to the thumbnail.

I agonized over how to draw the actual cover; I knew that it would technically be much easier to draw Silver Banshee and Supergirl on two different pieces of paper so that I could work with them separately in PS, but I would be sacrificing a nicer looking piece of finished art. In the end, practicality won, and I have yet another cover drawn in pieces. It was the right choice, however, because having Supergirl on her own layer floating over Silver Banshee allowed me to add all of the effects without having to make selections or deal with weird edges around Supergirl. I was also able to adjust Supergirl's size and position with ease since there was a complete background behind her, which is pictured above before making any adjustments. I drew Silver Banshee in blue pencil, then inked her with a brush and india ink.

Above is Supergirl as she was drawn on a vellum overlay. Vellum is like a heavy tracing paper, so the transparency allowed me to draw her basically where I wanted her over the background. Supergirl was first drawn with blue pencil on a sheet of vellum, then I laid another sheet on top of that and drew the final lines in ink with a pen. I could have just inked directly over the blue pencils, but I was really struggling with some parts of the drawing (including the skirt, as usual) and wound up with a lot of smeared pencil. Vellum is easily erasable, so pencils can smear, and sometimes ink doesn't want to stick. A fresh sheet took care of the problem.

The color was done in Photoshop, and I tried to keep it fairly simple. The most important part was getting the balance right between Supergirl and the black and white background so that the contrast is striking, yet reads well. I had to lighten the background a touch and added a little bit of a soft halo of white around Supergirl to help pop her off the background. After staring at it for a while and nearly getting dizzy, I decided it was done.

Thanks as always for stopping by.



Saranga said...

well, you did a great job, I love that cover. very interesting to read the processes behind producing it too. :)

Scott Forbes said...

Fantastic work Josh! Thanks for the insight too. I'd love to see a breakdown on your coloring.

John 'Roc' Upchurch said...

nice. supergirl's expression and pose are perfect

Michael Dooney said...

Nice job! I'm curious how you did the white smeared line effect on the scream ring.

Anj said...

Another great cover. Thanks for sharing.

Was it hard to get a good 'scream' expression? That would seem to be tough.

I agree that Supergirl looks perfect ... buffeted by the sound, trying to shut herself off from it.

Amy said...

My fave feature of your work is that you use a fairly fine, uniform line weight. I use a fine line weight myself.
I get a little annoyed at comic art that gets bogged down in its inking.
Fine linework seems to be considered not following the 'rules' of comic art, but screw 'em, I say ;)

It works for you and the art is great.

Steve Marshall said...

Can we hold any hope for you doing interior art in the future? Maybe lines or colors or both? Anything at all? Pretty please!

Fabian said...

YES!! I love when you post the process of your art! Great piece!
I´m with Steve Marshall, you have this beyond amazing style that i also would love to see in interior art, NYX Wannabe is one of my favorite stories because of your work.

Eduard said...

Very nice use of the pencil and india ink on the background drawing of Banshee. You can really feel volume on her hair. I also love the way you do these marked shadows with ink (you posted some pictures like that some time ago). Then, of course, wonderful main figure and coloring. The effects you get on PS are amazing!

Rick said...

Amazing!! =)

Mirella said...

It's great, I love your work!!!!

Amilcar Pinna said...

Man, your art is fantastic, inspiration always!!!

Amilcar Pinna

Mimi Cortazar said...

Love the cover :)

hobzburgess said...

I am big fan of your work all the way back to meridian... and i have NYX on my shelf. i am also an illustrator and comic artist, and i just want to say for guys like me, it is awesome to see process stuff... i always love seeing a work in progress... thanks

hobzart on deviantart.com

Post a Comment